Monday, November 19, 2012

How can a gearhead be an environmentalist ?

I thought it time to explain the juxtaposition I represent as to my stance on Fossil Fuel and at the same time being a Racer, car guy,hot rodder and generally someone who burned countless gallons of fuel in my desire of the thrill of speed and the agony of the feet(ha) there are some things about these activity that are the forerunners of fuel conservation.
You see as it turns out we racers have always been fuel efficient because the amount of fuel burned( Thermal Efficiency ) in an internal combustion engine is directly related to how much power and thus how fast or in the case of a drag racer how quick a vehicle is.
It's called BSFC and basically relates to the amount in percentage of a pound of fuel burned in a cylinder. It is simply fuel flow (in pounds-per-hour) divided by measured HP, and is expressed in Pounds-per-Hour-per-HP.
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) is a measure of fuel efficiency within a shaft reciprocating engine. It is the rate of fuel consumption divided by the power produced. It may also be thought of as power-specific fuel consumption, for this reason. BSFC allows the fuel efficiency of different reciprocating engines to be directly compared.
The higher the percentage the more Horsepower generated and that is what moves you.
So yes it seems contradictory to many that racing is in any way fuel conscience when many race cars get so little MPG,like a NASCAR Cup Car 3.7-4.3 miles per gallon and that is dismal as compared to a street car.
But here's the thing.
Each pound of fuel that goes through that motor is burned at a ratio far higher than ANY Production street car whose percentage is in the 30% range and  pails to a 1000 HP Mustang that's burning above 50%.
Some of you older folks can surely remember being behind some clown with black smoke pouring from the tailpipe and the term"He running rich"and thats a good example of a gross failure to burn fuel(and really mess up the air).
Well another term is"keep'em Lit"and refers to being able to overcome ignition system shortcomings that limit the burn process and is best illustrated by Nitro Methane fueled racecars,Dragsters,Funny Cars,where the massave amount of fuel and air forced through the cylinder can overpower the spark provided by 2 complete ignition systems working in tandem to supply that energy and still often fail to keep all 8 "LIT".
It is from these parameters that racing learned how to be fuel efficient and if it was not for racing the high MPG vehicles of today would have been far longer in appearing if they had a internal combustion motor for power.
So I do not see my position as in anyway hypocritical because I still believe in Racing and readily strive to make more HP&Torque in anything I touch.It's my thing.
But for a long time now I have been a proponent of fuel conservation and believe I not only talk the talk,I walk the walk,and I do.I've cut my fuel consumption by well over 50% anually and although maybe a third was not planned but due to my sickness,the rest was because I actively limited myself even though driving is my most chrished activity,I've increased the fuel efficientcy of my old truck as well as detuned my 97 to run on Regular Unleaded and at the same time bumping up MPG by a .97 - 1.33 even as I added 17 HP.
It's not hard these days to have your cake and eat it to because of what computers have brought to the automotive world, in particular the internal combustion engine which contrary to what you might have heard will be around for several more decades as we transition to other forms of propulsion. as well as the very types of fuel used
I was a proponent of Methanol as a main source of fuel since the 70's and over the years have settled in on Sugar Cane as the source for its sustainability and lack of impact on food prices unlike corn alcohol has done because of the fools who would not look at the facts,but I digress.At least they were trying and did indeed get the attention of a public whom many had no idea a car could run on anything other than fossil fuel,let alone a renewable source.
In the 60's The Massachusetts State Police used Propane Powered Ford Police Interceptors exclusively on the MASS Pike and it was a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment